Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Journal 2: School 2.0 Reflection Tool

NETS-T: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

School 2.0 is an online assessment that helps teachers, regardless of experience, how to utilize the NETS-Ts in the classroom.


After taking the School 2.0 test, I chose to reflect on NETS-T 4, "Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility." I found this to be an important reflection tool for any teacher at any level or experience.  I can use the resources to improve my skills in the classroom for each of my students. Looking back on my time as a student in the K-12 system, I think I would have benefited from more of a global outreach. We had penpals, but we only wrote letters once, and it took a long time. I think if my teachers had been given the tools to go global, our class would have been exposed to more cultures. One specific resource I found to be helpful was "Resources to help your class go global."  It focused on how teachers can help students work collaboratively in the classroom and connect to other students from around the world. The article ended with resources that could help teachers come up with fun, informative, and cost-effective lessons for students.

Further delving into the resource, I found great information on technology tools for the classroom. I had not even thought about using Google Earth or Skype in the classroom. I could potentially find classes in other states or countries to study current events or history. As a social studies teacher, I could implement many of the projects for my students in order to promote global citizenship. I like the idea of working with my students on real world problems, opening their eyes to society's flaws.


Boss, S. (2010, February 24). Resources to help your class go global. Edutopia. Retrieved from    http://www.edutopia.org/global-classroom-tips-resources

Russo, A. (2012, January 17). Global education on a dime: a low-cost way to connect. Edutopia. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/international-exchange-online-collaboration-projects

No comments:

Post a Comment